Sunday 3 October 2010

Last Sunday in September


3 Peaks weekend? Must be time to get the shiney cars out!  Around a dozen 3 wheelers in the pub car park. Moto Guzzi engines, yum.


Went for a walk to the cafe in Horton and met up with the forever fashionably late.



What did I learn this year? A lighter bike helps get to the top of Ingleborough quicker that's for sure. However, for next time I'll remember to,

  • not get a cold
  • refrain from going to Italy at 1am Thursday and get back to Manchester 5.30am Saturday
  • eat properly for the week before, lots.

My during the race stuff could've been better too. Getting into a higher position on the start grid certainly helped. A whole 6 minutes quicker up Ingleborough was a good start, sharper refuelling at Cold Coates too. Thanks again Shona. Got into a steady group on the road over to Whernside so held my position pretty well. Not too shabby coming down either and then on towards Pen-y-ghent where it all went pear shaped and fatigue proper sat me on my arse. Walked a lot more than last year going up. People passing me, that shouldn't happen either and the top couldn't come soon enough. That euphoria was short lived as I started my (very) shaky descent, scrounging a gel on the way down, cheers Harsh. Much slower here meant that I was passed by the top 3 ladies on the descent before getting back to the short road section. This is where I realised that I'd really totally ballsed up my feeding as I got calf cramps for the first time in my racing history. Anyway, head down, passed one rider on the way back and once through the timing tent proceeded proceeded to eat. Absolutely everything. Even the last mince pie. Ta Julie. So, realised that sub 4 hours is do-able for me on the singlespeed so long as I get the simple things right and don't just try and wing it along with everything else.  Arrive rested, well fed and hydrated. Roll on 2012. Despite everything I got wrong it was still a grand day out.


Boys winners, the same but slightly different.




A couple of pics found elsewhere.





More here - http://3pcx.blogspot.com/
Rich.

No comments: